OSM bits...

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 24 04:26:55 UTC 2009

On 1/23/09, Merv Curley <mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On January 23, 2009, Colin McGregor wrote:
>>
>> Do note that the maps you see on "View" are only updated once a week,
>> so, yes, it may take up to a week before your handywork is visible to
>> the world.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
> Thanks Colin.  That seems easier than what I read on the website.  Obviously
> my impressions from what I read were quite erroneous.  I'll print your
> message and have a go. Probably easy once I have done a couple of edits.

Yes, it is straight forward. Me, I am still fighting my way through
some aspects of JOSM, a Java based Open Street Map off-line editor,
more features than the Potlatch on-line editor, but also harder to
use...

> Since my street is a KM long and has a number of branch streets I assume I
> can
> name it in a couple of places?  I guess the answer is somewhere in the
> documentation but I became discouraged quickly. I do have an account, so I
> was serious but got frustrated.

To do what you suggest, I would cut the street into segments, and then
give each segment the same name. which isn't hard to do, However
unless the street was exceptionally long, like say Yonge Street I
would be a bit reluctant to do this...

> Cheerio
>
> --
> Merv Curley