OSM bits...

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 24 02:21:55 UTC 2009

Merv Curley wrote:
> On January 23, 2009, Colin McGregor wrote:
>
>> Do note that the maps you see on "View" are only updated once a week,
>> so, yes, it may take up to a week before your handywork is visible to
>> the world.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>

> Thanks Colin.  That seems easier than what I read on the website.  Obviously
> my impressions from what I read were quite erroneous.  I'll print your
> message and have a go. Probably easy once I have done a couple of edits.
>
> Since my street is a KM long and has a number of branch streets I assume I can
> name it in a couple of places?
My experience is with MapInfo data. There, every street segment can be
treated as a record in database (whatever kind of database; That depands
on the design of data records.). Usually, every street segment contains
street name. It may contain additional information, like for instance
street numbers (possibly on both sides), postal code (which can be
different also on both sides). Also, street names, in principle, could
be in various languages. Etc. So, it should be quite ok to assign
different names to different street segments.

Just a digression. I do not know openstreet.

zb