computer won't power up

Daniel Armstrong dwarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 23 05:35:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 8:33 PM, Daniel Armstrong <dwarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>>> Pin 13 is ground.  Pin 14 is PS-ON.  Shorting PS-ON to ground makes an
>>> ATX power supply turn on.  If it is not shorted to ground it turns off.
>>>
>>> So shorting pin 13 to 14 should make it be on.
>>>
>>> Power-OK is pin 8.  Don't mess with that.
>>
>> Dammit, I knew I shouldn't have posted this while being so tired. Sorry
>> Daniel.
>
> That's okay Madison... I don't even know how to short a PS to
> ground... So no harm done. :-)
>
> Bookmarked http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower_pinout.shtml for future
> reference... Thanks!
>
> Thanks for the replies. I just returned to checking out the machine...
> and this time it actually started up! But it wouldn't post... So
> turned off and back on and it started up again and this time I go into
> the BIOS. Reset the time and watched it reboot and... no post. Reboot
> and no post but the CAPS lock and scroll key LEDs blink... Perhaps its
> taking issue with the PS2 keyboard for some reason.
>
> Turn off and back on again... Now back to where things started with
> the machine not turning on at all.
>
> I will bring another known-good PSU as suggested and some keyboards
> and mice over from my stash and see if that makes a difference.

Seriously strange... the computer is currently back up and working
again. But it responds differently every time I hit the power button.

I disconnected all the peripherals as suggested... Then reconnected
the LCD, keyboard, and hard drive. Turn on the power. Sometimes it
gets to BIOS screen and stops... the other time there is hard drive
activity but no LCD image. Or it doesn't power on at all. Second last
attempt I got into Grub and managed to boot into single-user mode. I
checked in /var/log/messages but didn't notice any red flag
problems... rebooted sucessfully and went into normal multi-user mode
and now its currently up-and-running.

Puzzling... Don't know where the problem lies. I am going to keep it
running for now until I get some replacement parts handy on standby if
it bails out again on me.

Thanks again for the help!