computer won't power up

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 22 20:11:54 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 03:01:24PM -0500, Daniel Armstrong wrote:
> I have a problem with my Dad's computer - it won't power on, and it
> wasn't experiencing any problems preceding this failure. It has an
> Antec 450W power supply and a Asus K8N motherboard.
>
> I logged off and powered down - "shutdown -h now" - my Dad's linux
> box. A few minutes later when I pushed the power button... nothing.
> The Antec power supply has a on/off switch on the back...I tried
> turning it off and let it sit for several minutes... turned it back on
> and noted that the little green power light on the motherboard lit up
> and the LED lights on the keyboard briefly flashed on/off... but it
> still won't power on.
>
> In descending order I have tried the following steps to restore power
> without success:
>
> - turn power supply off... let sit... turn back on... repeat
>
> - turn power supply off... unplug power cord from computer... re-plug
> and turn back on
>
> - disconnect power cord from UPS and plug directly into wall
>
> - remove CMOS battery from board... re-install
>
> - replace CMOS battery with new battery
>
> - reset CMOS jumper
>
> - remove and re-seat the video card and RAM
>
> - check the connection between the power button and board
>
> No luck... The board is getting power and the keyboard flashes on/off
> when power is switched on/off but it will not power up. My folks live
> north of Toronto and before I return to the city and pickup a
> replacement power supply... Any suggestions of what else I might try
> to get this box going again? Again... this computer wasn't
> experiencing any problems before it was powered off.

Well a power supply tester is handy (and cheap).  I have had power
supplies provide 5Vsb but nothing else, whihc means green light on the
board, but never turns on.

Could also be the cpu of course.

Also you can try using ajumper instead of the case power switch on the
main board in case the switch is broken.

--
Len Sorensen