computer won't power up

Daniel Armstrong dwarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 22 20:01:24 UTC 2009

I have a problem with my Dad's computer - it won't power on, and it
wasn't experiencing any problems preceding this failure. It has an
Antec 450W power supply and a Asus K8N motherboard.

I logged off and powered down - "shutdown -h now" - my Dad's linux
box. A few minutes later when I pushed the power button... nothing.
The Antec power supply has a on/off switch on the back...I tried
turning it off and let it sit for several minutes... turned it back on
and noted that the little green power light on the motherboard lit up
and the LED lights on the keyboard briefly flashed on/off... but it
still won't power on.

In descending order I have tried the following steps to restore power
without success:

- turn power supply off... let sit... turn back on... repeat

- turn power supply off... unplug power cord from computer... re-plug
and turn back on

- disconnect power cord from UPS and plug directly into wall

- remove CMOS battery from board... re-install

- replace CMOS battery with new battery

- reset CMOS jumper

- remove and re-seat the video card and RAM

- check the connection between the power button and board

No luck... The board is getting power and the keyboard flashes on/off
when power is switched on/off but it will not power up. My folks live
north of Toronto and before I return to the city and pickup a
replacement power supply... Any suggestions of what else I might try
to get this box going again? Again... this computer wasn't
experiencing any problems before it was powered off.

Thanks for any help...Daniel