Unfortunate Ubuntu media coverage

E K ekg_ab-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 15 18:26:58 UTC 2009

--- On Thu, 1/15/09, Asaf Maruf <asafmaruf-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> From: Asaf Maruf <asafmaruf-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
> Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Unfortunate Ubuntu media coverage
> To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
> This is an issue that I have been thinking about. The usual
> scenario is that
> companies see value in implementing a Linux based solution.
> However, the
> in-house IT staff is not able to deliver a good solution
> due to lack of
> Linux/FOSS technical skills and the management steps in to
> revert to a
> "known good solution" --- Windows.

I don't think so. Rather it is about expectation much like other forms of discrimination. If FOSS is involved in a solution any problem is ascribed to it. Users also find a new escape goat for whatever they lack in (including the discipline to do their job). I sometimes try to remind people that encounter problem with Linux/FOSS that they have been and will encountering problems no matter what software they use. The question they should ask is will they have more or less problem than no problem if they switch to/from Windows and in my opinion, having worked with both Linux and Windows, at this time it is easier and less problematic to use Linux/FOSS than Windows. Some understand my argument and try to see if that is really true or not (comparing their problem with others) others don't unde
 rstand the reasoning. Those who think either there should be no problem when using Linux/FOSS or it doesn't work are hard to convience. Many managers are like that,
 unfortunately.

> Linux gets bad mouthed for no reason at all. The management
> is not aware of
> the technical issues and perceives that Linux as a solution
> failed.
>
> The unfortunate result is that Linux is unable to get
> introduced in the
> enterprise especially the SME sector.

At this point in time, I think it is a PR thing rather than technical issues that is holdinding back Linux/FOSS. A good PR can convience one to live with crap or worship celebrities. While if you are not popular, your recommendation, no matter how good they are, are dumped or often pushed aside with "appreciation".

EK