mount: ntfs not recognised?

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 12 02:47:28 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 10:42 AM, John Myshrall <jmyshrall-6duGhz7i8susTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
>>
>> Computer of my friend got broken. Windows does not start and is not
>> willing to be repaired. HD itself is more or less ok. He would loose a huge
>> amount of valuable data if formatting was done. HD is of SATA type, while on
>> my comp its IDE, so I can not connect it to my computer.
>>
>> I burned Centos 5.2 LiveCD and booted his computer from it. Works great. I
>> can browse through one partition on his HD, sde1, but sde2 is not mounted
>> automatically and when I try to mount it manually, I get the following error
>> message:
>>
>> mount: unknown filesystem type 'ntfs'
>>
>> ntfs is shown as a filesystem type on that partition when using hardware
>> manager.
>>
>> What should I think about that? Any ideas what next?
>>
>> zb.
>>
> I've had success using this live CD. http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
> However

Although it's been awhile, I've also had good luck with this one when
I last used it. A default Ubuntu LiveCD also worked last time I had to
fix a pooched NTFS partition. If you have enough space on the RAMdisk
and you need an app that's not on the liveCD, you can still install
it, but I think that NTFS-3G is in there by default.

Also, if you've got a USB->IDE+SATA adaptor I've found that sometimes
going with that on an up-and-running machien works better than working
with a boot-disk.