mount: ntfs not recognised?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 12 16:02:58 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 07:29:33PM -0500, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> Computer of my friend got broken. Windows does not start and is not
> willing to be repaired. HD itself is more or less ok. He would loose a
> huge amount of valuable data if formatting was done. HD is of SATA type,
> while on my comp its IDE, so I can not connect it to my computer.

You can get very handy usb to ide/sata adapters for $25 and up.  A very
nice one is about $40, unless you get it on sale from dell for $25 (like
I managed last year).  Really handy for drive recoveries.

> I burned Centos 5.2 LiveCD and booted his computer from it. Works great.
> I can browse through one partition on his HD, sde1, but sde2 is not
> mounted automatically and when I try to mount it manually, I get the
> following error message:
>
> mount: unknown filesystem type 'ntfs'
>
> ntfs is shown as a filesystem type on that partition when using hardware
> manager.
>
> What should I think about that? Any ideas what next?

Perhaps centos is using too ancient a kernel to support modern versions
of ntfs, or perhaps ntfs in need of repair can't be mounted.

Sometimes booting the windows install cd and going to the repair console
will let you get a command prompt where you can run chkdsk on the drive
and get it fixed that way.

--
Len Sorensen