OT: Internet at home without active phone line

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 7 15:33:22 UTC 2009

I'd imagine that if you were trying to circumvent the throttling/etc
issues (and you employer was OK with the idea), you could use
something like an OpenVPN connection.
I use this quite often to connect to work, etc. The nice thing is then
you have a tunnel to access your network shares, etc.

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 2:27 PM, teddymills <teddy-5sHjOODPK7E at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I work at a hosting company.
> We do not offer ADSL services.
>
> What would I need to create my own ADSL connection between my home and work?
>
> I would need a bell line..and??
> I cannot imagine making your own circuit it very likely.
>
> /teddy
>

> CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
>>
>> S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:
>>

>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I am currently looking at the options of getting broadband (ADSL level)
>>> internet connection at home without having active phone line.
>>>
>>> The only methods I can see is using dry loop DSL or Cable Internet. Is
>>> there any other way?
>>>

>> I currently have the two most expensive providers, Bell for my home line
>> and Rogers for cable Internet. I've been with Rogers since they started
>> offering Internet service in my neighbourhood, circa 1998. Both have
>> been quite reliable but Rogers in particular has been annoying me. They
>> charge a premium and have the audacity to arbitrarily change the terms
>> of service by imposing bandwidth caps. To add insult to injury, after
>> clicking through on their stupid "Click here to acknowledge receipt of
>> this notice", as if that made it all better, when I hit the bandwidth
>> cap of 60GB they imposed but to which I've never consented, I was taken
>> to a page explaining that I would be charged a ridiculous and punitive
>> $2/GB in excess of the quota but that Lite customers who signed up prior
>> to some date in 2008 weren't subject to being capped at all. Let me see
>> if I get this straight. I could pay less and not be capped with the same
>> provider or be a long-time customer who has been paying for their
>> high-priced Internet access for a decade and be capped. I'll take door
>> number three, a new provider, thanks. While I'm at it, I figured I'd
>> look at everything, phone, mobile, Internet, and TV.
>>
>> So far, I've come up with:
>>
>> 3Web/Cybersurf offers "CIA Home Phone Premium with FREE High Speed
>> Internet", which is a VOIP and Internet access bundle for $39.95. Their
>> pre-sales phone support has been fine but an email that I sent before
>> Christmas remains unanswered. They are one of the very few cable
>> resellers so that means you can get the same access as with Rogers but
>> only cheaper with them. If you already have Rogers cable Internet, there
>> is no setup fee but if you don't, you may have to pay a $50 setup fee if
>> a home visit is required. If you're in the GTA, apparently, they're
>> usually able to provision the service without sending a technician so
>> the setup fee is waived in those cases. I was told that whatever caps
>> and traffic shaping Rogers employs in my area *may* be applied. I can
>> understand the traffic shaping since that despicable company Bell
>> starting shaping the traffic of their resellers' customers but I don't
>> understand why Rogers' stupid caps should apply here.
>> <https://www.cia.com/prodUpSell.do?signUpMethod=voip#Basic>

> [...]

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2