OT: Internet at home without active phone line

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 6 19:56:12 UTC 2009

teddymills wrote:

> I work at a hosting company.
> We do not offer ADSL services.
>
> What would I need to create my own ADSL connection between my home and
> work?
>
> I would need a bell line..and??
> I cannot imagine making your own circuit it very likely.

I assume you want a connection directly from your home to the office?
If so, you have to be close enough and then you'd need a DSLAM that
you'd connect the copper pair to.  However, if you're going through all
that trouble, you might want to consider SHDSL instead, which will give
you symmetrical bandwidth.  It usually also use multiple pairs for
increased bandwidth.  Another way is to use short hop microwave,
assuming you have line of sight between the two locations.  There is
some unlicensed equipment available that can give you up to 18 Mb/s of
ethernet traffic, for a bit over $1000 per end, plus installation.