OT: Internet at home without active phone line

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 5 21:54:06 UTC 2009

Never had a problem with the service of Teksavvy itself, but you're
going to be limited by the service of Bell's lines.
I live in North York near Fairview Mall, and due to Bell overextending
their lines and just generally sucking, I can't get much better than
1.5/0.6 (on a 5down/1.5up account).
You might want to check if anyone else locally has DSL internet
service and find out if it gets decent speeds, or even ask Teksavvy if
they've got customers in the area.
In places with decent lines, the service is great, but the last-mile
belongs to Bell and it tends to be a big ??? in terms of quality.

- TJA

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 4:33 PM, S P Arif Sahari Wibowo
<arifsaha-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am currently looking at the options of getting broadband (ADSL level)
> internet connection at home without having active phone line.
>
> The only methods I can see is using dry loop DSL or Cable Internet. Is there
> any other way?
>
> For Cable Internet, it seems the choice is only Rogers, right? While
> apparently much better than Bell, this still a disadvantage of this option.
>
> From cost point of view - which is quite important for me right now - it
> seems that Rogers option can have a slight advantage: most likely no setup
> fee, compare to TekSavvy $39.98 activation + service fee. And if I agree to
> 1 year contract with Rogers, apparently the monthly cost for Express can be
> as low as $35 per month, compare to $39.05 TekSavvy asked for High Speed
> Premium DSL + Band B rate.
>
> Any other thought?
>
> While at it, I has some related questions which you may have the answers:
>
> - How bad is the latency of TekSavvy's Unlimited DSL? Will it apparent if
> you ssh in and run a full screen console program (such as pine, links,
> emacs, vim, etc.)?
>
> - Anybody have experience with CIK telecom <http://www.ciktel.com/> ? They
> offer dry DSL, unlimited, for $479.88 per year, prepaid.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
>                             (stephan paul) Arif Sahari Wibowo
>  _____/ /      /    / _____/      http://www.arifsaha.com/