Wireless Office

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 5 16:54:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 05:03:41PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
> That's why you use something called "encryption".  WPA2 encryption has
> not been broken and is very secure.  Do not use WEP and use plain WPA,
> if you can't do WPA2.  Many WiFi routers can be configured to work with
> both WPA & WPA2, depending on what the computer is capable of.  Linux,
> Vista, XP SP3 can do WPA2.  XP SP2 can only do WPA.

As far as I can tell, WPA (including WPA2) is only secure if you use the
corporate mode, which involves using an authentication server.
Preshared key has been broken I believe.

So if you use TKIP with WPA or WPA2, then you might as well almost not
bother.

If you use AES _and_ 802.1x authentication agaist a radius server or
similar, then you have pretty good security.

Or just run a VPN link from every machine back to a central machine on
the network, and don't ever run any unencrypted traffic on the wireless.

--
Len Sorensen