Wireless Office

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 5 16:46:14 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 03:21:11PM -0500, Lance F. Squire wrote:
> Looking at setting-up a wireless office.
>
> There is only one Linux box in the office used as the firewall. It will
> be connecting directly to the wireless router. Doubt there will be much
> problem there.
>
> The rest of the office is a mix of windows and Mac boxes. They are
> thinking usb adapters would be the best way to go. Some of the boxes are
> older.

You might have very limited selection in which devices will work with
the MACs, but I suspect apple sells some if nothing else.

> Was wondering if anyone had set-up a similar network, and opinions on
> the various venders.
>
> Was thinking of using Lynksys,

I went with an Asus wifi router for home.  Sure runs a lot cooler than
linksys gear does, and it's faster too, just in case I ever decide to
replace the firmware on it.  Oh and the ram and flash is twice the size
of most of the linksys boxes.

Of course personally, I prefer things to work so wireless would be my
last choice for connectivity.

--
Len Sorensen