AVCHD (video camera) formatting under Linux

John Myshrall jmyshrall-6duGhz7i8susTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 25 21:56:01 UTC 2009

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone here have any experience converting .mts files (the high
> def video created by Canon, Sony and other makes -- also known as
> AVCHD) to to podcast-sized videos (mp4, flv, whatever) using open
> source tools?
>
> I've been trying mencoder and ffmpeg, both with unsatisfying results.
> They can both read the mts format but produce files that are out of
> sync and/or missing frames.
>
> Some of the web resources talking about this make reference to a
> package called 'xporthdmv' that I can't seem to find anywhere.
>
> Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. At very least, are the
> opinions on ffmpeg vs mencoder for this kind of task?
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Evan

Here is a good article.
http://wesleybailey.com/articles/m2tstoavi-avchd   I've used this and it
works great. You can easily convert to what ever you like from there. I
actually converted my neighbors HD movies from his vacation with it.
Uncompressed files really take up a lot of space though.

I'm currently now trying to figure out the community version "CV" of
Cinelerra because I want to edit in HD then covert if necessary
http://cvs.cinelerra.org/

HTH

John