Any Gentoo Users on this list?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 19 21:09:26 UTC 2009

lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org wrote:
[snip]
> - Blocking packages, blocking updates, custom versions
>
> Another cool feature of Gentoo is that you can block unwanted packages
> quite well.. you can even do it by specific version numbers. So if you
> do an update but you don't want your Java version to be touched then you
> can add a rule that blocks Java from being updated. You can even block
> packages altogether, and you can install specific versions too.

YUM and APT both have ways of doing this.

[snip]
> The biggest problem I had with emerge...
[snip]

... was that "rolling upgrades" were illusory when you had major changes
in glibc versions. About three years ago, which was my second attempt at
using Gentoo seriously, there were many tales of woe on the Gentoo
forums about how non-deterministic it was to upgrade when you had major
changes like that. It was easy to get your machine into a state where
you couldn't go forward or go back and the easiest upgrade path was to
just reinstall at that point. I didn't see the point of Gentoo if
"rolling upgrades" didn't work reliably.

Today, I run Kubuntu on my desktop and I'm indifferent, at best, to it.
We run Debian Etch, Ubuntu LTS, some old Mandriva that will eventually
get replaced by something else, CentOS, and Fedora 10 in our hosting
environment. Though I really like Debian, I'm leaning more towards the
Red Hat/CentOS/Fedora camp these days because of projects like Cobbler
and FreeIPA.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay