Any Gentoo Users on this list?

I. Khider contact-uc+NVM1kvX9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 20 01:56:06 UTC 2009

Hello Teddy, Marc et al,

The reason I want to run Gentoo is so I can understand Linux. Yes,
Gentoo is a royal pain for a newb so I am going through a trial by fire.
I have a teenaged brother who installed my desktop system. He is a whiz
at linux/bsd/whatever--but get him to explain anything to you...well,
deal with a frustrated teenager see how far you get.

So I have DWM as my GUI and I am learning console in the proccess. No
KDE, no Gnome--just the more user intensive way of doing things. (Prior
to that I ran Ubuntu with Gnome, KDE and XFCE.) With Gentoo, guess what?
I am learning how the system works. In a perverse way, I like DWM more
than any other GUI I used.

I want an optimal desktop system and to learn to use Linux, Gentoo is
perfect for that. Now getting my graphics card configured, the damn
printer to work, or find my music files on my hard drive is another
matter. I am optomistic I will get those things working in about a year
or so. Now I just e-mail files to print, run to a net cafe and print out
the documents there, listen to the radio more often and read books.

When I ran Ubuntu--I would have apps mysteriously not working. So I
figured, 'okay, just learn Linux already so I won't have a fit everytime
something doesn't work.'

I guess I will have to wear a hair shirt or whip myself for Linux next.

-Ib-