Public Works Canada solicitation about FOSS

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 19 15:04:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 12:32:29PM -0500, colin davidson wrote:
> I have Vista on my laptop (came installed). Because I have yet to
> figure out how to run rdesktop across an MS VPN (and I HAVE tried, I
> assure you - just keep getting a black screen), I use Vista to remote
> in to work. Because I run my laptop in a sealed environment (don't
> ask), I care rather a lot whether the machine boots up to use the
> external monitor. Vista is a little random in that regard (Debian has
> been pretty solid, so far). Also, Vista has this endearing little
> habit of updating while you're using remote desktop full screen. Then,
> without and visible warning, rebooting to complete the install of the
> update. Try having your system restart on you without warning while
> you're trying to work say six or seven times, and see how much you
> like that system...

XP does that too.  I have seen an XP laptop reboot with no option (it did
pop up a box saying "I am rebooting in 60 seconds and there is nothing
you can do about it", right as the CEO of the company was starting his
presentation to the whole company.  Thanks microsoft.

As for multiple monitors or remote desktop, I have no idea.  I rarely
deal with any version of windows myself.

--
Len Sorensen