Public Works Canada solicitation about FOSS

colin davidson colinpdavidson-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 9 15:46:42 UTC 2009

In traditional software companies, on of the most difficult problems
faced is maintaining multiple versions. This isn't much of an issue in
the FOSS world, because the source is available and developers can
just wash their hands of version and move on (if someone really cares
about that previous version, they can "scratch the itch" themselves
either by maintaining it for themselves or by paying someone to
maintain it).

Microsoft has solved this problem (for themselves - their "solution"
only hurts their customers) by simply closing down previous versions
(stopping support AND stopping legal sales of the outdated versions).
The reason they don't simply abandon them is that this then makes the
unsupported version the main competitor for their new software and
encourages others to stick to previous versions, confident that their
applications will live on.

I am fairly convinced that one of these days, one of the sporadic
customer revolts will catch MS offgaurd and kill them for all
practical purposes.

Cheers, the other Colin