anti-Linux Policy at HP

John McGregor mr.mcgregor-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 17 02:54:34 UTC 2009

I think that this whole conversation may be moot. I read all the on-line
warranty addenda information for HP notebooks available on the HP site
and nowhere is an OS mentioned in conjunction with a hardware warranty.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentGroup=NT_CT_Warranty&lang=en&cc=us&prodSeriesId=3687778&prodTypeId=321957&docIndexId=64184

In the main warranty document it states that the software portion of the
warranty may be voided if the consumer installs freeware, third party
proprietary software or open soure operating systems.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/warranty.do

Ib Khider: I'd say that your next move should be to send copies of both
warranty statements to HP and point out that the first document makes no
reference to operating systems at all while the second does but only so
far as how the installation of open source software will affect the
warranties for any software pre-installed by HP.

HTH

John
(IANAL)