NFSLinux Clients AIX Servers

Paul Mora paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 11 22:33:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 3:38 PM, John Miles <jmiles242-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> Last night Drew was kind enough to provide me with a pretty cool solution to a problem we're having (NFS proxy)
> (4 AIX boxes serving up dozens of NFS exports each to a couple of thousand machines.... and somehow everytime a mass of machines try to mount them, apparently the client's do not time out and begin hammering the NFS servers).
>
> I'd like to try and understand why the problem actually happens - and the answer could simply be - AIX won't use standardized NFS, but wondering if there is a definitive answer.
>
> Thanks for the info - and the post-meeting suds!

>From the nfs(5) man page:

retry=n

The number of minutes to retry an NFS mount operation in the
foreground or background before giving up. The default value for
forground mounts is 2 minutes. The default value for background mounts
is 10000 minutes, which is roughly one week.

Add this to the mount options you've already got in /etc/fstab.

pm

--
Paul Mora
Registered Linux user #2065 <http://counter.li.org>