The state of 64-bit Desktop Linux

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 11 18:13:58 UTC 2009

2009/2/11 Marc Lanctot <lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>:
> Giles Orr wrote:
>> 2009/2/11 Marc Lanctot <lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>:
>> I'm using Sun's native Java.  Haven't used it heavily, but no problems.
>
> Do you know what version? My big test, which 64-bit Blackdown has failed in
> the past, is running the Text Twist game on Yahoo games. If it doesn't come
> up or it comes up without sound, then it's not working 100%. My girlfriend
> and I make a hobby out of that game, so this is a no no :)

I'm at work, specific details will have to wait for me to get home.
I'll try to answer then.

>> I'm using a low-end (6200?) dual head nVidia card, following Lennart's
>> advice from several months ago for compiling the module: I suppose
>> that means I'm using the Linux driver, not nVidia's own.  I don't have
>> OpenGL support, but haven't bothered to pursue it as it isn't a big
>> problem for me.  I have dual head, that's all I wanted.
>
> Why would you do that over using the proprietary driver (I mean other than
> RMS's loss of freedom argument)? Isn't it crippling? Are you implying that
> the proprietary driver doesn't come with dual head support?!

Because I don't make a hobby of running GLXGears and then cursing if
the fps is less than 500.

Gimp, Firefox, and aterm are all running really well, I have dual
head, what more would I want?  I do prefer to use fully free stuff
when I can: in this case, I haven't moved to the proprietary driver
for a mix of two reasons: it's harder to install and the only reason I
care is because I can't currently play crack-attack (a Tetris-Attack
clone video game that requires OpenGL) and that just hasn't been
enough to motivate me to fight with NV's proprietary driver.

I think my DVD playback is fine, but I'll try to check that when I get home.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org