The state of 64-bit Desktop Linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 11 19:09:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 01:13:58PM -0500, Giles Orr wrote:
> Because I don't make a hobby of running GLXGears and then cursing if
> the fps is less than 500.
>
> Gimp, Firefox, and aterm are all running really well, I have dual
> head, what more would I want?  I do prefer to use fully free stuff
> when I can: in this case, I haven't moved to the proprietary driver
> for a mix of two reasons: it's harder to install and the only reason I
> care is because I can't currently play crack-attack (a Tetris-Attack
> clone video game that requires OpenGL) and that just hasn't been
> enough to motivate me to fight with NV's proprietary driver.
>
> I think my DVD playback is fine, but I'll try to check that when I get home.

Well I don't think the free driver has Xv and Xvmc support, but maybe it
does.  It does not have openGL.

The proprietary driver certainly has multihead support, Xv and Xvmc
support, openGL, and a few other bits.

So it depends what you need.

I find the debian package trivial to install, as long as your kernel is
supported by the driver version.

--
Len Sorensen