The state of 64-bit Desktop Linux

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 11 17:33:33 UTC 2009

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 10:52:48 -0500
Marc Lanctot <lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> My main machine at home has really been slow and I realized I made a bad
> purchase 2 years ago. I'm quite sure it was low quality hardware that
> was to blame, a HP Pavilion that came with a Pentium D chip which I'd
> never heard of. I never figured out if Ubuntu was the cause of any of
> the slow down but I do know that when I used Fluxbox over Gnome, or KDE
> applications vs. Gnome applications the slowdown was more tolerable. If
> I left my machine on all the time.. after 2-3 days it became unusable
> unless I rebooted it. It became quite loud too, regardless of how many
> fans I'd used to try to fix the heat problem.
>
> I recently ordered a Dell Precision T3400. It's coming with a 64-bit
> Intel Core 2 Duo (3 GHz) processor. It's a desktop intended to be a home
> machine, user-friendly enough for my girlfriend to use as well.
>
> In the past I've fought with 64-bit distributions. It's not Linux itself
> that was the problem, it was the lack of compatibility for certain key
> applications I'd gotten used to, mainly: Flash and Java browser plugins.
>
> Now I've done the whole having a separate Firefox, or having a 32-bit
> plugin wrapper, or using open flash alternatives. I'm not interested in
> these "hacks". I would like to run Adobe Flash native and Sun's (not
> Blackdown or anything else) Java plugin for Firefox. I ran into so many
> problems that I decided I wasn't ready to run 64-bit Linux on a desktop
> and have been dealing with a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit capable processor.
>
> I've seen recently that Adobe *finally* released support for 64-bit
> Flash in version 10 (beta?).
>
> It seems like after 2 years there's hope for me running 64-bit Linux on
> my desktop.
>
> My questions are, /from your experience/
>
> - I'll need to shrink the partition with Vista on it to make space for
> my Linux partition. I usually use GNU parted. Do you foresee any issues
> with this?
>
> - Is the 64-bit NVIDIA drivers stable and working well (compared to the
> 32-bit ones). I'm getting a "256MB PCIe x16 nVidia NVS 290, Dual Monitor
> DVI Capable". The most intense thing I do with my video card is watch
> movies (no games, no video production, etc.) With my current machine,
> even watching a single movie will cause noticeable slow down afterwards.

i just installed sidux/debian and a mix of sid/experimental,
i installed latest nvidia drivers, and have a dual xinerama 30" HP and 22" samsung,
xinerama's together or a 2560x1600+1200x1600(rotated),
the nvidia drivers do not support  TwinView with one monitor rotated,
so no compiz for me :( cause compiz+xinerama isnt possible, so that sucked.
other then this, nvvidia 8600 support seemed perfect.

> - Is 64-bit Flash 10 stable and working well?
Flash sux by default, thats why its so important for opensource moonlight to
crush flash as soon as possible. having said that so far flash 10 64bit
seems to work well. On my last hardy install, ibex (on wifes), it does the
usuall 100% load crap constantly. It loads up pretty good on sidux too,
but atleast it returns to normal after the flash app is finished,
and sound seems to work to.

> - Can I use an up-to-date Sun 64-bit Java plugin for Firefox (let's say
> "up-to-date means" 5.0 or later)

> - Is there any reason I would install, say, Debian vs. Ubuntu. Of all
> the distros I've tried these two remain my favorite. However, Ubuntu has

my thought exactly, and after installing sidux/debian, (after using ubuntu
fiesty, gutsy, heron, ibex), to my surprize i discovered ubuntu isnt really a
distro at all, just a install front end for debian, to bad i found that out this late.
also having a fix date release distro (i.e. ubuntu) really is turning out to be
the worst distros to use.

> continued to let me down since it came out. I keep using it because it's
> more user friendly for my girlfriend (nice apps for Digital Cameras
> etc.) though I have gone back and forth several times. The main issue I
> have is that it makes a lot of assumptions that slow your machine down..
> like file system options and running several unnecessary background
> processes that bloat up the system. I've had problem with compiz slowing
> down video as well. Maybe this won't be much of an issue on the new
> machine... or maybe I can just look into a HOWTO for slimming down the
> default Ubuntu.
>
> - Are there any other obvious problems running 64-bit Linux on a Desktop
> I should know about?

i was able to get TS video play back to work with the necessary installed codecs pack,
even the w64codecs, but i couldnt get it to play some DVD's, i guess they had certain
DRM, and i have libcss, libdvdread, etc, but no dice, could play brand new TS stuff from
my haupauge HD PVR. I took a 32bit mplayer and libs from my old ubuntu set up
(where is was also needed to be 32 bit) to get it  (mplayer) to play some DVD proper
also shuttling in HD TS files is rough, but i think thats just the state of linux for
MP4/TS files at this time :( . i didnt use a chroot, just moved my mplayer from old machine to
/usr/bin/mplayer32 on new, and ldd to locate and move those 32bit libs to the  /usr/lib32 on the new box,
and i can use that 32 bit mplayer for those certain DVD's.

if you dont need access to 3-4+GB ram (i do for vmware), not sure need go 64bit route
at this time, having said that, i havnt run into any 64vs32 bit issues thus far.
(but havnt done anything with java customization yet).

i did have trouble with vmware install, but since the new vmware server (web console) suxs,
i decided instead to upgrade a free vmware workstation license i got at a toronto linux show a few years back,
added 99$ and got a new workstation that installed and runs well.
so you might have issue with vmware serevr, but seems like its doable.

kde 4.2 gave me nothing but grief (but having said that , Xinerama has a tendancy to expose lots of DE bugs),
 i dont think its ready for prime time yet.
i use gnome, with  xfce and flux in a Zephyr, and wanted to try Xephyr'ing kde to,
but no point until they get it to work.

-tl

ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>