The state of 64-bit Desktop Linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 11 16:53:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 11:48:48AM -0500, Tyler Aviss wrote:
> I've used gparted for this before and never had any issues. It's
> always a good idea to make sure you create the restore disk as a
> just-in-case though, it seems many laptops don't ship with one by
> default and require that you burn it yourself (lame)

Well vista on my wife's laptop got very upset after using gparted on the
drive, but using a vista install disc to boot and run the boot repair
made it perfectly happy again.

> Last time I setup an Nvidia card was around Christmas. My cousin's
> laptop worked fine, though I had to use a 2.6.27 kernel since it
> wouldn't compile against 2.6.28 (might be since fixed)

It has been.  I am running 180.22 with 2.6.28 kernel no problem.

> Been using it for the last few days now, and it seems that after I
> mentioned it a few others picked it up as well. The driver is "beta"
> but runs a lot better than using the nspluginwrapper cruft
>
> I think I had to jump through some hoops for this. I'll rebuild and
> see if I can remember what was involved
>
> Ubuntu. But if you like KDE3.5 stick with Hardy for now. If you're a
> Gnome user or want to brave KDE4, you could go with Intrepid (I
> recommend using the extra sources to at least get KDE4.2 in the case)

4.2 is certainly much closer to being useable now.

--
Len Sorensen