Public Works Canada solicitation about FOSS

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 9 15:33:23 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 7:49 AM, Neil Watson <tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 01:23:30AM -0500, Robert Brockway wrote:
>>
>> I expect large companies supporting OSS (such as IBM) are already
>> working on their submissions.
>
> IBM can be somewhat bipolar by offering Linux one moment and AIX the
> next.

As Rob has already indicated, operating systems are not necessarily
one-size-fits-all; offering a choice makes it easier to convince a
customer that IBM has a solution that will work for them. And this
puzzles me about Microsoft: instead of continuing to sell and support
Windows XP, they insist on closing down a now stable operating system
and forcing their customer to buy The New Thing, Vista. And then
Microsoft's compounding the problem by coming out with Windows 7,
meaning some customers will skip Vista altogether and go with that
product instead. That's weird.

--
Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario