Advice for a document management system

David J Patrick djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 5 18:13:14 UTC 2009

Aaron Vegh wrote:
> Good day!
> I'm a web developer. One of my former clients called me this morning
> asking about a problem they would like solved, that I feel is a tad over
> my head. I'm hoping that the combined wisdom of this list can help solve
> it!
>
> The client currently has a system whereby one group produces original
> documents using MS Word. Those documents are then fed to a variety of
> sources, ultimately becoming PDFs and Web pages.
This one seems like a no-brainer; openoffice.org.
M$Word users switching to OpenOffice may not even notice, and PDF output
is built-in. M$Word user switching to LaTeX will moan and howl and gnash
their teeth, cursing whoever made them use this *^%%$*%^ thing. (yes,
LeTeX or Lyx is a superior publishing solution, but it demands a new
metaphor; WYSIWYM vs. WYSIWYG) OO.o will also happily spit out .html. As
a bonus, Word <---> OO.o conversions are 95% seamless (although your
complicated documents may get somewhat mangled.
djp