Advice for a document management system

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 5 17:23:28 UTC 2009

Good day!
I'm a web developer. One of my former clients called me this morning
asking about a problem they would like solved, that I feel is a tad
over my head. I'm hoping that the combined wisdom of this list can
help solve it!

The client currently has a system whereby one group produces original
documents using MS Word. Those documents are then fed to a variety of
sources, ultimately becoming PDFs and Web pages. They currently use a
product called Transit which handles the conversion. However, there's
a great deal of signal loss during the translation -- these are fairly
complicated documents, with each page containing both English and
French versions of the text. Ultimately, the people responsible for
posting these documents in their respective formats, especially the
web version, have to do a lot of post-processing. And the final
published results contain errors.

My advice to the client was that, if they moved away from Word, they
would be taking a great deal of uncertainty out of the equation. I
mentioned either LaTeX or some other kind of customized XML-based
solution as a way to circumvent these format transition issues. The
goal being to work with plain text rather than an opaque file format.

The situation is complicated by the fact that we've got a current
workflow that is run by many people, any of whom may not be
comfortable with a change in technology. However, it appears the
organization is more willing to run that gauntlet than they have in
the past.

My vision looks like this:

1. Content authors produce LaTeX using some undisclosed tool on
Windows. These folks would need to be trained to work against a
template.
2. A transformation turns that latex doc into a PDF and a nicely-
formatted HTML/CSS document.
3. Profit!!!

This strikes me as a non-trivial project. I've worked with LaTeX a
little bit, but not enough to handle this project. I think this client
needs someone for whom LaTeX is their bitch, to put it bluntly. That
person would create the templates and recommend the tools to be used.
I'm not this person. :-)

Anyone who feels they could accomplish this, I'd love to hear from.
I've asked the client if they would like to meet such a person, and he
enthusiastically agreed. This could turn into a nice consulting gig,
who knows?

Any suggestions or alternative approaches are welcome.

Cheers!
Aaron.