OT: Trying to offload some new wireless network hardware

Peter plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 2 17:21:33 UTC 2009

David J Patrick <djp at ...> writes:
> > Imnsho a P4 and a 'stack of NICs' will likely do better than ...
> I'm getting that impression, especially if I want to implement any
> load-balanging, fail-over, QoS or especially a decent squid installation.

Stop right there. Squid won't work well in a Linksys WRT54GL because it has too
little RAM and no disk. Squid needs a few 100's of MB of disk to be noticeably
good, and the more, the better.

>   Otoh, if you would shop around for an older Cisco
> I'll keep an eye out for such a unit, would you be that expert programmer ??

It does not have to be Cisco. Can be Catalyst and many others (see the list of
firms that went bust when the dot com fallout started). My experience with Cisco
router programming is limited, but there are other experts out there, it is not
o hard. However, neither of these boxes will help with squid or any other
similar proxy. They will help with the QoS part (which is harder to do in
Linux). Imho the most stable 'small router' boxes made so far are FreeBSD based
(esp m0n0wall and pfsense). See:

  http://www.freebsdnews.net/systems/

Peter