OT: Trying to offload some new wireless network hardware

David J Patrick djp-tnsZcVQxgqO2dHQpreyxbg at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 2 02:40:06 UTC 2009

Peter wrote:
> Imnsho a P4 and a 'stack of NICs' will likely do better than any consumer grade
> box you can buy for money now.
I'm getting that impression, especially if I want to implement any
load-balanging, fail-over, QoS or especially a decent squid installation.

  Otoh, if you would shop around for an older Cisco
> or other brand name business grade router, that would very likely fit the bill
> for the same money and work almost forever. A well used older model Cisco should
> be well under $100 and with some expert programming will very likely fulfill ALL
> your special packet routing needs, plus it's an all metal super rugged part that
> will last almost forever.
I'll keep an eye out for such a unit, would you be that expert programmer ??
thanks for the $0.02, valued far higher on the geek exchange.
;-)
djp