OT: Trying to offload some new wireless network hardware

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 1 12:58:44 UTC 2009

Peter wrote:
> David J Patrick <djp at ...> writes:
>
>> pick ME ! pick ME !
>>

> I do not dare to ask why you would need it :) Speaking of which, has anyone here
> good/bad experiences with an ASUS WL-330 usb wifi access point ? I am interested
> (very) in Linux experiences with this device.

I have a WL-330gE portable access point and it works great.  You can use
it as an access point/router for WiFi devices and also in "hot spot"
mode, where you can share a paid hot spot, such as in Starbucks.  It can
also work as a repeater for WiFi signals, to add WiFi support for
ethernet only devices or as an ordinary access point to an ethernet
network.  It runs on Linux.

As an experiment, I went to the library, with it, a ThinkPad, a Nokia
N800 and an Asus EEE PC.  All computers were running Linux.  I then
connected to the library's WiFi, using the ThinkPad via the Asus
portable AP.  Once I was logged in, I could then access the internet
from the EEE PC & N800, as well as the ThinkPad via the AP.  Normally, I
have it configured as an access point, so that I can connect it to any
ethernet network and give my N800 access to it.

BTW, the USB port is used only for obtaining power from your computer.
It does not carry data.  The access point comes with an AC adapter,
short ethernet cable and short USB cable that plugs into the same
connector as the AC adaptor.