Handling weird input devices

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 1 02:47:44 UTC 2009

2009/1/31 Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>:
> On 1/31/09, Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> The short version: I bought a Contour Shuttle Xpress
>> (http://www.contourdesign.com/shuttlepro/shuttlexpress.htm).  I'd like
>> to get it working (ie. be able to map all the buttons and dials to
>> functions of my choosing) with Debian testing (amd64).  Should I use
>> gizmod (which has never worked for me in the past) or the much more
>> ancient evrouter (which is much praised, but seems to have been
>> abandoned five years ago), or is there some other program or method
>> better suited to this?
>
> Question is, "Is this a an odd looking device that acts like something
> mundane like say a mouse?". I have a Silverstone LC-14 computer case
> that has a bunch of buttons on of the case front. Turns out the case
> looks to the motherboard like a standard USB keyboard. I've put notes
> on how to make the LC-14 case happy with the MythTV program here:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/SilverstoneTek_LC14
>
> a tweaked .xmodmaprc file is almost all you need to make the LC14
> happy. Is your device just as simple?

As I mentioned further on, the "xev" command doesn't even see most of
the button presses on this device. And the events that xev can
identify on the Xpress, it identifies as mouse clicks.  I can't
distinguish them from a mouse click, so I can't xmodmap them to
another function.  gizmod in debug mode does see distinctive clicks
from the device, but gizmod and I aren't really on speaking terms:
it's my last choice (I'm just hoping it's not my _only_ choice).

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org