semi-OT: multiple monitors with Dell Inspiron 530

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 28 06:28:59 UTC 2009

| From: Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

|   So
| it would appear that using three screens on this machine, which was my
| intention, is impossible.

I've never met an integrated video controller that worked when a video
card was plugged in.  This isn't a Dell-only problem.

There are video cards that support more than 2 screens.  Not that I
remember much about them.  For example, Matrox made four-output cards.
I think that they were used by traders (stocks, bonds, commodities,
...).

I vaguely recollect reading that (some?) recent AMD (ex ATI) cards, with
three connectors, could drive three displays with three different images.
That would certainly require checking before believing it.

Lots of motherboards have extra PCIe x1 sockets.  I wonder if extra cards
can fit into them.  There would be a performance hit.