semi-OT: multiple monitors with Dell Inspiron 530

Alexandre Cavalcante Alencar alexandre.alencar-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 28 18:13:28 UTC 2009

Hey Hugh,

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 3:28 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> |   So
> | it would appear that using three screens on this machine, which was my
> | intention, is impossible.
>
> I've never met an integrated video controller that worked when a video
> card was plugged in.  This isn't a Dell-only problem.
>
> There are video cards that support more than 2 screens.  Not that I
> remember much about them.  For example, Matrox made four-output cards.
> I think that they were used by traders (stocks, bonds, commodities,
> ...).

nVIDIA and ATI provides cards with 2 or 4 heads for PCI, AGP, PCI-E
slots, it's not very easy to find, but you can use this kind of card
to have more displays.

> I vaguely recollect reading that (some?) recent AMD (ex ATI) cards, with
> three connectors, could drive three displays with three different images.
> That would certainly require checking before believing it.

I saw 4-head cards...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11761.html

> Lots of motherboards have extra PCIe x1 sockets.  I wonder if extra cards
> can fit into them.  There would be a performance hit.

Alexandre Alencar (Skarmeth)
http://blog.alexandrealencar.net/
http://www.alexandrealencar.net/
ITIL, CSM, LPI, MCP-I, MCP