OT: Samsung 2343 monitor

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 27 03:47:41 UTC 2009

This is a mixed review of a new Samsung monitor - if it was just about
a single monitor, I wouldn't post here.  But it's also about Samsung's
behaviour in general.

The monitor is 2048x1152 and 23", the high resolution is quite lovely.
 Colour seems reasonably good, no dead pixels.  I only bought it today
though.

A couple significant problems, as I see it: first, the monitor has no
buttons.  Really.  It has icons for power, menu, etc., and I ran my
hand all over the case, peered around the back ... no buttons.  This
is because the icons are the buttons, and only function when the
monitor has power: presumably by inductance (is that the correct
term?).  This means there's no feedback, and they're hypersensitive.
I don't like them at all.  The other problem is an ongoing one with
Samsung: you can't access the menu unless the monitor has a data
source.  A friend of mine has a pair of Samsung 19" 4:3 monitors from
a couple years ago, and they have the same problem (but have real
buttons).

So don't do what I did: I just grabbed the monitor box at a Boxing Day
sale and walked.  It's not a disaster, the screen seems very good ...
but I do hate the controls, and I suspect that's what Samsung will do
in future.  And possibly other manufacturers too.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org