OT: Samsung 2343 monitor

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 27 14:13:06 UTC 2009

Giles Orr wrote:
> This is a mixed review of a new Samsung monitor - if it was just about
> a single monitor, I wouldn't post here.  But it's also about Samsung's
> behaviour in general.
>
> The monitor is 2048x1152 and 23", the high resolution is quite lovely.
>   Colour seems reasonably good, no dead pixels.  I only bought it today
> though.
>
> A couple significant problems, as I see it: first, the monitor has no
> buttons.  Really.  It has icons for power, menu, etc., and I ran my
> hand all over the case, peered around the back ... no buttons.  This
> is because the icons are the buttons, and only function when the
> monitor has power: presumably by inductance (is that the correct
> term?).  This means there's no feedback, and they're hypersensitive.
> I don't like them at all.  The other problem is an ongoing one with
> Samsung: you can't access the menu unless the monitor has a data
> source.  A friend of mine has a pair of Samsung 19" 4:3 monitors from
> a couple years ago, and they have the same problem (but have real
> buttons).
>
> So don't do what I did: I just grabbed the monitor box at a Boxing Day
> sale and walked.  It's not a disaster, the screen seems very good ...
> but I do hate the controls, and I suspect that's what Samsung will do
> in future.  And possibly other manufacturers too.

I have an LG W2353V monitor that I bought a couple of months ago.  It's
also buttonless, but it appears to work better than yours.  With mine, I
put my finger near the area where the "buttons" are located and the LEDs
light up.  I then touch the function I want.  I use them mostly for
switching video inputs.  I don't seem to have that problem about there
having to be some input before the buttons work.  If there's no input, I
just get a message on the screen about the monitor switching to low
power mode.

BTW, yesterday I bought a HD converter so I can now watch TV on this
monitor too.
I've got the converter on the HDMI input, my main computer on DVI and a
KVM switch on the VGA input.  The thing that would make a big
improvement would be if I could set the VGA input to always be 4:3.  As
it is, the VGA & DVI inputs share the same setting, so I have to change
the display aspect ratio when I switch between VGA & DVI.

BTW,