X on a Server?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 21 17:03:11 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:10 AM,  <john.moniz-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I need to re-do my file and mail server for the house. I intend to install Debian, as was on my old server that suffered a hardware death.
>
> Is there any need to install X on a server? Perhaps for some configuration tools? My old server didn't have it, but if it's useful, I'll add it this time.

X server is quite separate from X libraries...

It is entirely likely that useful tools may require libraries, but
there's no good reason for them to require an X server, as that could
be run remotely.

Debian doesn't force the matter; adding X libs doesn't mandate adding X server.

You could, of course, find specific applications, that likely didn't
pass tests to be added to Debian, that requires that an X server be
installed on the host.  Blame it on Larry ;-).

Charles de Gaulle  - "The better I get to know men, the more I find
myself loving dogs." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/c/charles_de_gaulle.html