apt-get vs aptitude

Thomas Milne tbrucemilne-TcoXwbchSccMMYnvST3LeUB+6BGkLq7r at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 17 06:15:07 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> What is the difference between using apt-get and aptitude to install
> packages?
>
> I'm using aptitude because if I recall correctly it manages the package
> dependencies better, where as apt-get will not. I recall having to use
> synaptic to fix a problem once and that when I stopped using apt-get.

I am by no means an expert, but what I've noticed in general usage is
that aptitude will remove any packages which are 'not required' by
default, whereas apt-get will not.

For example, in my case, because I do not have Gnome's Network Manager
installed (because it sucks), aptitude will automatically remove all
of the Gnome Desktop if I let it.

As with anything, when you're using aptitude, be careful that you
always read the prompts and are sure you understand before you say
'Yes' :-)

--
TBM