apt-get vs aptitude

Rajinder Yadav devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 17 06:38:53 UTC 2009

Thomas Milne wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> What is the difference between using apt-get and aptitude to install
>> packages?
>>
>> I'm using aptitude because if I recall correctly it manages the package
>> dependencies better, where as apt-get will not. I recall having to use
>> synaptic to fix a problem once and that when I stopped using apt-get.
>>

> I am by no means an expert, but what I've noticed in general usage is
> that aptitude will remove any packages which are 'not required' by
> default, whereas apt-get will not.
>
> For example, in my case, because I do not have Gnome's Network Manager
> installed (because it sucks), aptitude will automatically remove all
> of the Gnome Desktop if I let it.

this is not the case when you're installing stuff, i want to know what
is the diff for installing packages betweek apt-get and aptitude.

btw, i think i blew away a few gnome things when i purge tomboy with
aptitude a while ago on my system =) i don't think any other package is
using those gnome stuff so I didn't care.

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav

http://DevMentor.org