weird terminal response

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 15 14:33:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 03:21:12AM -0500, Eric Battersby wrote:
> A friend of mine logged into my machine (CentOS)
> from F10 or F11, using Gnome-Terminal and 'ssh'.
> He got some weird terminal response after logging out.
> The problem is not happening now, but I would like some ideas
> on what might have happened, or how to reproduce it.
>
> Here is his description:
>
>   When I log out, my shell window scrolls (a 'home' seems
>   to be issued) and the cursor goes to the top of the page.
>
>   After that my shell window is "contaminated". If at a later
>   time (say, after an 'ls -la') I do cursor up to issue the
>   previous command, the same thing happens! The shell windows
>   clears and the command out of the buffer is then displayed
>   on top!

I find the gnome-terminal so buggy that it is totally unusable.  I use
konsole (kde's terminal) or plain old xterm.  They work.

I often find gnome's terminal gets the terminal emulation messed up with
no way to fix it.  Simply just don't use it.  I think the only way to
rescue it would be a complete rewrite.  I unfortunately expect the code
to be a mess given its awful behaviours.

--
Len Sorensen