Swap space

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 12 19:38:14 UTC 2009

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009, Jason Carson wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I know the conventional wisdom with respect to swap space has always been
> to double your memory but I am about to build a system with 4 GB of
> memory. Do I really need an 8 GB swap space?

Hi Jason.  The 2:1 ratio was necessary on some version of Unix because of
the swapping algorithm in use. It was never a requirement on Linux.  It
was a decnet rule of thumb in the past but it doesn't make much sense with
modern systems.

Here are my comments on swap:

http://www.practicalsysadmin.com/wiki/index.php/Swap

Cheers,

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy
http://www.practicalsysadmin.com