OT: Just Got The HP Compaq Mini 110c-1100CA From Rogers

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 11 16:12:40 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 04:06:17PM -0500, Mike Kallies wrote:
> Last I read too about the OEM licenses, Microsoft wants the license to
> appear on the same receipt as at least the HDD, CPU and Motherboard.
> That was some time back though.

I have never heard that requirement.  They simply required the dealers
to sell it along with some piece of hardware (multiple pieces with
vista/windows 7 I believe).  They have changed to rules multiple times
though.  I have also been told in the case of vista by a dealer that as
long as you buy the software within a week of the hardware they are fine
with it.  It does not have to come from a single purchase, it just has
to be used only for a single final system.

> The only annoying difference between XP Home and XP Pro for me is that
> you cannot use RDP to connect to a remote XP Home box.   Depending on
> how you use your computer, this can be really annoying, although VNC
> works in a pinch.  The domain stuff is true too, but I don't use any
> of that.

Some software won't run on home either.  Usually higher end stuff
(solidworks, PLC software, etc).

--
Len Sorensen