OT: Just Got The HP Compaq Mini 110c-1100CA From Rogers

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 10 21:06:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 02:28:08PM -0500, Michael Lauzon wrote:
>> I signed up for the 2 year contract, was told it'll take 2 - 4 weeks
>> until I get the netbook, was just about to get in the shower when UPS
>> knocked on my door.  It comes with WinXP Home SP3 preinstalled,
>> wondering if it's possibly to put WinXP Pro SP3 as I have an OEM disc
>> that I bought when I built my computer -- I was dual-booting with WinV
>> x64.  I also wonder if Chrome OS would run on it.
>
> OEM disks are only ever useable on the first machine they were used on.
> SO if you ever installed and activated it, then that's it.  No other
> machine can use it.

Last I read too about the OEM licenses, Microsoft wants the license to
appear on the same receipt as at least the HDD, CPU and Motherboard.
That was some time back though.

The only annoying difference between XP Home and XP Pro for me is that
you cannot use RDP to connect to a remote XP Home box.   Depending on
how you use your computer, this can be really annoying, although VNC
works in a pinch.  The domain stuff is true too, but I don't use any
of that.

Take an image of your recovery partition if you're going to try
anything.  Else, you may blow your only copy of the OS.

When I use commercial software, I play by the rules.  It forces you to
more carefully consider the alternatives.

-Mike