more ISP advice: wasTeksavvy ISP

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 11 15:59:45 UTC 2009

Darryl Moore wrote:

> Michael Lauzon wrote:
>
>> Rogers isn't so bad, at least they don't traffic shape the hell out of
>> things like Bell does.
>>

> Sadly true about the traffic shaping I'm afraid.
>
> On the other hand they are at least $10/month more than my current ISP;
> do not offer static IP (If they did I'm sure it would cost more again);

While they don't offer static IP to residential customers, the host name
is static, as it's based on hardware MAC addresses.  You can always get
some DNS service to create an alias that converts that long host name to
something that's more usable.  The assigned host name will not change,
unless you change the modem or router/computer is directly connected to
the modem.