more ISP advice: wasTeksavvy ISP

Matt Seburn mattseburn-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 10 22:07:04 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Darryl Moore <darryl-90a536wCiRb3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Michael Lauzon wrote:
>>
>> Rogers isn't so bad, at least they don't traffic shape the hell out of
>> things like Bell does.
>>

> Sadly true about the traffic shaping I'm afraid.
>
> On the other hand they are at least $10/month more than my current ISP;
> do not offer static IP (If they did I'm sure it would cost more again);
> Block ports such as SMTP, has TOS that disallows servers; and limits
> monthly data xfer.
>
> Thanks. I'll stick with the DSL resellers and put up with Bells traffic
> shaping.

This is exactly why I want out of Rogers.  I want a static IP and I
want to run a mail server.  And to not have to worry about my service
getting shut off for running web and ssh servers.

Even with Rogers' business plans you're already looking at close to
$100/ month for a static IP.. and that's assuming they even let Joe
Residential get business plans....