OT: Damin name, cyber-squatters

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 11 02:18:40 UTC 2009

Rajinder Yadav wrote:
> I currently have registered devmentor.org as a federal corporation here
> in canada and the name devmentor.org + logo is going through a trademark
> process right now.
>
> I want to know what rights I have to protect my domain name and to even
> prevent others from using it. Right now I own .org, is there a way for
> me to get ownership of the .com and .net domain
>
> Is there a process I can start with IANA OR ICANN, would they rule in my
> favor since I have both a registered business name and pending trademark.

The fact that you are just now registering the trademarks will make it
very hard for you to argue that any existing squatters are trying to
profit off of your mark.

devmentor.com was registered in 2006, though doesn't seem to be in use.
The .net version was registered on 2007 and is in use, and clearly not a
squatter (no ads, no offer to sell). The .ca is available, so I'd
suggest just ordering it.

For the .com and .net, I'd say your best bet is to write to them and say
"hey, I'm a nobody, so I can't offer you much, but I would really like
to use this domain. Can we come to a fair deal so that I could buy it
from you?".

Once, about five years ago, I wanted a particular domain that was help
by a squatter. At first they wanted a couple grand for it, and I told
them I wanted it for non-commercial uses and wasn't ready to pay
anywhere close to that much. In the end I got the domain for ~$100.

I really doubt ICANN/IANA will help you, being the newest comer.

Madi