OT: Damin name, cyber-squatters

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 11 02:47:00 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I currently have registered devmentor.org as a federal corporation here in
> canada and the name devmentor.org + logo is going through a trademark
> process right now.
>
> I want to know what rights I have to protect my domain name and to even
> prevent others from using it. Right now I own .org, is there a way for me to
> get ownership of the .com and .net domain
>
> Is there a process I can start with IANA OR ICANN, would they rule in my
> favor since I have both a registered business name and pending trademark.

Look up UDRP...

http://www.icann.org/en/udrp/udrp.htm

I'd expect that since your trademark doesn't predate the registration
of devmentor.com, in 2006, your claim would be considered rather weak.

But you really should look to the policy.
Pablo Picasso  - "Computers are useless. They can only give you
answers." - http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/p/pablo_picasso.html