velociraptor 10k

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 7 21:24:48 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 03:22:18PM -0500, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 02:58:35PM -0500, teddy mills wrote:
>>> started using some 10K velociraptor drives today.
>>> these things can move some data.
>>> http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=459
>>
>> I think SSDs might kill them off soon.  They are awfully expensive for
>> their size, and SSDs are faster.
>
> Price per gb isn't quite there yet, but it won't be too much longer. I
> just put in a 64GB SSD into my desktop for ~$220 and I'm never going
> back to platters again. Best upgrade ever. Period.

Well the raptor is around $1/GB.  The SSD is maybe $4/GB.  Given the
SSD is faster and has way lower latency, isn't it worth the extra cost?
After all you are already paying a huge premium on the raptor compared
to the $0.10/GB of a regular high performance HD.

After all if you are willing to pay 10 times as much to reduce the
latency by perhaps half, would you not be willing to pay 4 times as much
to reduce it by a much much larger factor?

--
Len Sorensen