OT: Need a new computer

Mon Dec 7 20:47:19 UTC 2009

My desktop is acting more and more strangely, and it may be time for an
upgrade - unfortunately, it is a cute, tiny unit that is not
upgrade/fix-able, so I may need to start over.

If you were trying to *cheaply* get a Linux-compatible desktop together
that I won't have to think about for another 4+ years, what would you
get?

I would like to get something for under $400, taxes in.

I would prefer dual core, but the most CPU-intensive thing my machine is
used for is Flash video (which is a lot, for no good reason).

2D graphics are fine.  This computer from Filtech looks reasonable:

Weekly Special B
$289.99
Intel E5200 Dual Core 2.5GHz
Asus P5KPL-AM SE M/B
Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator
(Intel® GMA 3100) O/B
Kingston 1G DDR2-667
Seagate/WD 80G SATA2 HDD
LG or Eq. DVD-RW
ATX Case A601 w/420W

I know that the CPU is a bit limited, but it will probably be fine (web
development, Python scripts and minor statistical number crunching will
be just fine).  The MB is ASUS, which I like, and the video card should
be easy to support - the only downside is that the PSU and case are
likely going to be cheap, but I can't have *everything*.

Any other suggestions?
--

yours,

William