Trying to use active USB 2.0 extension cable.

Mark Lane lmlane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 4 09:54:34 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 3:04 AM, jim <cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I'm trying to use an active USB 2.0 extension cable and it doesn't seem
> to be recognized properly. I'm using Ubuntu Jaunty ( unfotunately the
> modules are compiled into kernel or I'd try removing uhci_hcd) Below is
> dmesg output:
>
> usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9
> hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
> usb 6-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
> usb 6-2: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub
> usb 6-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> hub 6-2:1.0: USB hub found
> hub 6-2:1.0: 4 ports detected
>
> At first it is recognized as USB 2.0 device ie ehci_hcd driver but
> ultimately becomes uhci_hcd device. It is this device
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2329301&CatId=444
>
> Maybe it is just a lousy device. Problem is I can't get a USB 2.0 web
> camera to work properly with it. Can anyone recommend an an active USB
> 2.0 extension that works with Linux . Eventually I need about 30 feet so
> was hoping to use two of these. The literature says you can string up to
> 5 together. I know my USB bus is ok since USB 2.0 hubs work ok and the
> camera works ok when directly plugged into my computer. Any suggestions?
> Eventually I will be hooking up 4 cameras.
> Thanks,
> Jim

Have you considered wireless Cameras? I was going to suggest just plugging
the camera into an ASUS router that supports dd-wrt but since you want 4
eventually it would be cheaper just to buy wireless cameras as I assume you
don't want the cameras all in the same place.

Here's an example. You can control the camera through a browser.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=342

--
Mark Lane <lmlane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>