Trying to use active USB 2.0 extension cable.

jim cinetron-uEvt2TsIf2EsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 4 08:04:07 UTC 2009

I'm trying to use an active USB 2.0 extension cable and it doesn't seem
to be recognized properly. I'm using Ubuntu Jaunty ( unfotunately the
modules are compiled into kernel or I'd try removing uhci_hcd) Below is
dmesg output:

usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 9
hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 2
usb 6-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
usb 6-2: not running at top speed; connect to a high speed hub
hub 6-2:1.0: USB hub found
hub 6-2:1.0: 4 ports detected

At first it is recognized as USB 2.0 device ie ehci_hcd driver but
ultimately becomes uhci_hcd device. It is this device
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2329301&CatId=444

Maybe it is just a lousy device. Problem is I can't get a USB 2.0 web
camera to work properly with it. Can anyone recommend an an active USB
2.0 extension that works with Linux . Eventually I need about 30 feet so
was hoping to use two of these. The literature says you can string up to
5 together. I know my USB bus is ok since USB 2.0 hubs work ok and the
camera works ok when directly plugged into my computer. Any suggestions?
Eventually I will be hooking up 4 cameras.
Thanks,
Jim